In this episode, TTL versus Manual Flash with Michael Zelbel. Michael Zelbel is a photographer and editor of his own blogs, Zelbel.com and SmokingStrobes.com, based in Duesseldorf, Germany. We talk about working with TTL flash. Subscribe to download our podcasts on iTunes.
What we talk about:
- Some professionals might not be comfortable with TTL
- What TTL is
- You still have the ability to adjust flash power on the fly
- Good reasons to use TTL over manual flash
- Different brands handle lighting "ratios" different ways
- What gear do you need to use TTL off-camera?
- Should I start off with TTL, or manual flash when learning?
- Canon or Nikon TLL flavors, which one does Michael use?
- Ed notes that Nikon links Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) to Exposure Compensation (EC)
- TTL Flash technology has improved recently
Extra: For some great instruction on getting started with off-camera flash visit: “How to Shoot Professional-Looking Headshots and Portraits on a Budget with Small Flashes.”
And, get my ebook, "100% Reliable Flash Photography," available for instant download.