One Light Portrait Setup

7 Comments

• Mark Zelazoski December 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I am an amateur photographer who is looking to start experimenting with flash. This was a great tutorial for me to get started since I have the equipment, but no money for classes or workshops. Thank you very much. I’m going to try this right now.

• Joe Akude January 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I stumble on your website. i was looking for how to use nikon speedlites for portraits and was wondering if you have any tutorials that deals with nikon speedlites 900, and i use a D300 . Still learning but want to get better .

• vineet maheshwari January 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

you dont believe but i love such type of light set up
    I use at least 50% of my clicks with single light sorce

• Dave Bradley October 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

A useful little starter in lighting – concise, simple and well illustrated. Thanks Ed, keep them coming. :)

• Terri October 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thanks so much! I really appreciated the detail you shared in placing the subject and your light.

• Jekeri Taningco December 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I am a newbie but with your shared knowledge in photography, I know I will become one good professional photographer soon. Thanks for the tips!

• Daniel F February 27, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Ed for sharing this video. There are lots of photography tutorials using small speed lights with shoot thru umbrella. Those speed lights are much expensive than the more efficient entry level studio lights made by Alien Bee or Elinchrom. The only benefit of using speed light is convenient to carry when shooting in locations where carrying heavy equipment is a problem. Light spill all over the place with shot thru umbrella, bounce off ceiling and walls, making the images look flat. I have tried shoot thru umbrella many times. Eventually gave up. I prefer using bounce of umbrella or softbox. Control light spill onto the back ground is very difficult for many home studios or small rooms. With the subject 6 feet away the back ground, 3 feet from the main light and approx 8 feet from the camera to the subject to avoid perspective distortion, and couple feet working space behind the camera. The room will need to be 16-18 feet. To complicate the matter more, I use a fill light close to camera axle and near the camera to create even fill. Fill light spill onto the back ground seems have little solution. How do you control light spill in the situation where the model leaning against the wall or headboard? You advice is very appreciated.