Video: Off-Camera Flash, Light Stand Setup

A quick explanation of how I setup up off-camera flash. This is the same setup I describe in detail in the blog and my eBooks. Using a light stand, umbrella adapter, and a hotshoe-to-PocketWizard adapter cable, I place the flash unit off-camera and into a shoot-through umbrella.

Flash unit with umbrella rig.

* indicates required Name * Email Address *

6 Comments

• Roy Booth April 18, 2011 at 12:33 am

If a picture paints a thousand words a video paints a million. I don’t know why they had to make it so complicated with all the studs etc but your video made it a piece of cake. If only I could work out how to download the video to save offline for reference. Maybe there’s an ebook or a vbook idea there. Thanks Ed.

• shahn April 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Why is there a need for the hotshoe to PW adapter when (with the proper cable) you can plug the PW directly to the flash?

The adapter seems like an unnecessary addition….

• Ed Verosky April 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Great question. Some flash units do have a PC cable connector, but not all do. The flash I’m using does, but I still prefer to use this method because PC cables aren’t very reliable, they will fail with extended use. This method works every time.

• Jon April 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Thanks Ed, for the refresher, one question for you though, do *you* prefer to measure your light with a light meter or base it on the either the histogram or the view screen on camera? I use my flash all the time on manual between 1/4 to 1/8. I would like the view of another on the metering.

Thanks

• Ed Verosky April 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I just take a look at the LCD monitor most of the time. I’d probably use a light meter if I were shooting film in a studio environment and had no way to preview in digital. I honestly never base my exposures on the histogram, and rarely on the overexposure “blinkies.”

• Stephen April 20, 2011 at 5:31 am

Simple, clear and spot on Ed. Great presentation!